Here is great product that makes basement finishing faster and better. The InSoFast system is a closed-cell high density polystyrene foam that is fire-retardant. This type of foam is rated for below grade applications and does not absorb moisture like the open-cell type of bead board. InSoFast is a vapor retarder and is inherently mold resistant. This type of foam is the perfect insulating material for basements.
The InSoFast Benefits:
- Provides R-10 insulation in only 2 inches saving room in tight spaces.
- Attachment studs are made of 100% recycled polypropylene. This material has low thermal conductivity yet has extremely high strength characteristics.
- These studs will never mold or rot and they will not bow or twist, leaving a straight, stable surface for drywall or exterior finishes attachment.
- The studs can be located with a stud sensor.
- A unique self-aligning notch system is designed into the InSoFast panels to assure that the panels are installed on the concrete surface in alignment. This keeps the studs and wiring chases aligned.
- The tongue-and-groove design on the ends of the InSoFast panel help to keep the panels flush on the surface. They are also flashed in such a way as to keep water from traveling to the front side of the panel.
- Wiring Chases run vertically at 16″ on center and horizontally at 24″ on center in the panels. This grid work of chases provide easy access to pull wiring to any location.
- Each InSoFast panel has three attachment studs with a ribbed surface to allow the adhesive to maintain a tight adhesion to the wall.
- The three recessed attachment points on the face of the integrated stud allow for any mechanical fastening that may be needed. Because these attachment points are recessed, hex head masonry screws can be used.
A couple points to keep in mind for this system:
- Check with local building department to see if they re familiar with the InSoFast system and to find out what type of inspections and documentation they will require.
- Most building codes require a 15 minute thermal barrier over foam products. Standard 1/2″ drywall typically meets this requirement.
- The basement walls must be dry, secure, and relatively flat.
- Additional mechanical fasteners (screws, nails) may be needed depending on your application.
If you’re considering granite or other stone surfaces for your kitchen or bath, take a closer look at the benefits of Cambria.
- Strength & Durability– Cambria Natural Quartz Surfaces™ are stronger than granite. Cambria is a surface that is truly everlasting.
- Maintenance Free – No sealing, polishing or reconditioning is needed. Simply wash with warm water. It’s that simple. Plus, unlike granite, Cambria will resist stains from common food items such as wine, coffee and tea.
- Food Safe – Unlike granite, Cambria has been certified by NSF International as safe for use as a food preparation surface. Cambria is nonporous; therefore, food and moisture cannot penetrate the surface — the main source of growth for harmful bacteria.
- All Natural – Cambria is created from pure natural quartz, an extremely hard stone. In fact, quartz is the hardest non-precious stone that can be found in the earth’s surface.
- Everlasting Value – With its beauty and performance advantages over granite, a Cambria kitchen countertop or bathroom vanity will add value to your home.
- Guaranteed – As the only producer of quartz surfaces in the United States, Cambria is covered by a Lifetime Limited Warranty.
Safety and Performance
Today’s busy families demand products that stand up to rigorous use. With Cambria, you can be assured of a product that is not only beautiful and elegant, but also strong, durable and safe for food preparation.
Cambria’s nonporous surface:
- Is certified by NSF International for both Splash Zone and Food Zone
- Is nonporous, reducing the potential for bacterial growth
- Is as food-safe as a stainless steel countertop
- Resists stains caused by common food items such as coffee, tea and wine
- Is stronger than granite
- NEVER needs sealing or refinishing to keep its natural luster
- Is maintenance free – simply wash with warm water
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
Quartz is a mined product. It is mined through a pipe, one vein at a time and then is back-filled to preserve the integrity of the environment. Seventy percent of the material that is taken out of that vein is used in the finished product.
Granite is also a mined product. It is mined by destroying an entire area of a mountain, rain forest, etc. Approximately only 35% of the initial material becomes the finished product.
Same price for any of the 96 colors. Same price for any of 9 edge profiles.
When I was in elementary school, there was a story about a king and a contest to see how big the moon really is? There were several people in the story who estimated based on things they knew about- very large items like a house, a whale, a giant boulder for example. But the one person who convinced the king how big it really was, was a small boy. The boy said, “It’s the size of my thumb, because I can put my thumb in front of my eye and the moon gets covered, so it must be this big.”
The moral of the story (paraphrased more or less), is that it depends on your perspective. I think about all of my life and I think that this moral can be applied to just about everything. Is the weather too hot, too dry, too cold, too wet? Is the sky falling in your life or is everything A-OK?
Depends on your perspective.
The one thing I learned in life is that I should be thankful for everything- good or seemingly bad. My perspective is that the good Lord has given me everything for a reason and my job is to learn from it.