This month’s featured project is a St Paul bathroom addition. This bathroom won the COTY Award 2011 for Residential Bathroom under $30,000 Honorable Mention.
Since the house only had one bathroom, Johnell thought it was time another one. She met with me to discuss the plan: Add a spa-quality bathroom in the storage space. The challenge was to maximize the space which included the shower, toilet, and vanity while also leaving room for plenty of storage.
- Remove the existing wall separating the storage room and bedroom to add two feet to the new bathroom area.
- Frame a new wall. Add a glass block window.
- Modify the current plumbing dividing the room and add a toilet, a sink, and a full shower.
- Install a heat run from the basement through a main floor linen closet and into the bathroom, while still keeping the linen closet functional.
- Spray foam the angled ceiling to maximize R-value without sacrificing head room.
Then we got to the stuff that the transforms a cramped storage space into a luxurious bathroom:
- Install custom storage cabinets at two different angles for a seamless appearance.
- Install vanity and granite countertop.
- Tile the shower, floor, and the remaining wall space.
The result for Johnell is a spa quality bathroom where the cabinets blend into the angles of the ceiling and transform this uneven, dark and slanted space into a functional, spacious, and royal setting.
Jason- J Carsten Homes